Electrical appliances have progressed leaps and bounds over the last fifty years, and with them so have built-in safety measures as well as safety regulations. This has overall made new electrical appliances safer and safer with each generation, but they should still be treated carefully and with caution. The electrical appliance safety measures are built-in, but they are not fool-proof and they don’t cover everything.
With more and more gadgets coming into our lives, houses are being built with more and more outlets to accommodate them, but sometimes it still isn’t enough. If you have your cell phone, your iPod, your laptop, desk lamp, printer, fax machine, shredder, and your fan all plugged in around your work desk, chances are you are overburdening a single outlet. You’ll also probably be using a power strip, and the danger with that is that suddenly all the safety precautions of your electrical appliances are voided by the safety precautions of the power strip. If that strip malfunctions, it can overload the outlet and cause an electrical fire, not to mention blowing fuses throughout the entire house. It’s always better to spread your devices out rather than force them in with a power strip.
Keep Everything Dry
No matter how safe something is advertised on the box, keep it away from water. This is one of the first safety precautions we learn as children: Never put an electrical appliance into water. Many people adhere to this, but there are some who will still watch their laptop while taking a bath or keep a glass of water on their nightstand by their lamp. All it takes is one slip to cause permanent and even fatal damage, so as often as possible keep your electrical appliances away from water.
However, this also means you have to protect them when the humidity rises. Water in the air, while not necessarily dangerous to you, can get into the cracks and crevices of an electrical appliance and fry them if too much moisture accumulates. If you have ever had trouble booting up your computer on a humid day, it’s because moisture has found its way into the system. If you want to keep your electrical appliances from malfunctioning, you have to keep them dry.
Electrical appliances are much safer than they once were, yes, but they still need to be treated with caution. Keep them as dry as you can, meaning relocating them to a drier place when the humidity turns up. But of course, make sure you don’t shove them all in the same place otherwise you could start an electrical fire at the outlet. And of course, if you have children or pets, make sure you put protectors in every outlet you have to keep them safe for your loved ones.
Share this article on LinkedIn!